Thursday, 11 June 2015

Reflective Writing 2

Reflecting back on this paper I am grateful as I have gained new as well as enhanced perspectives in terms of cultures, identities and especially how we relate in society. It was also interesting to learn about Human Rights, Indigenous Peoples Rights as well as more about New Zealand’s colonisation through the Treaty of Waitangi. As a result increasing my respect for its indigenous peoples being Maori as well as other ethnic groups. Most importantly through lectures, class discussions etc. I have gained new knowledge or rather have become more aware of my thought processes and behaviours in society as well as various social environments. And for me, being better equipped to understand various cultures, similarities and rights etc. we all share is what I am most privileged to have gained.

For the presentation project my group and I agreed to look at respecting the rights of indigenous peoples. It is evident in societies today that such peoples and groups are marginalized namely in decision making processes that impact their lives (United Nations, n.d.).  However, Indigenous peoples have the right to self-determination, freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development as well as the practise and maintaining of their traditions and cultures (UNDRIP, n.d.).  Initially I had minimal knowledge on this social issue but through class discussions, lectures and further investigation by my group I have become more aware and vigilant of my observations in societies. This is indeed a universal problem however my group concluded that to a certain extent the rights of the indigenous peoples of New Zealand is well protected and respected. This is evident namely by Maori being an official language, Maori broadcasting in television, radio as well as Maori political involvement (Joseph, 2014). Given that the rights of indigenous peoples of New Zealand is respected and protected we concluded that it is because of The Treaty of Waitangi agreement. And so, if other countries applied a similar approach with their respected indigenous peoples this social problem could be resolved. Having to learn all this has only increased my respect for Maori and also other ethnic groups here and globally. Now I not only have sympathy but empathy for groups like so when their born rights are not respected and protected. I am also proud as personally I see the rights of other ethnic groups being respected and protected that including my own Cook Islands culture here in New Zealand. This is evident with events and celebrations that is attended by all such as Chinese Lanterns, Poly fest and Pacifica etc. In this sense it leaves my perspectives in regards to respecting the rights of indigenous peoples and other groups here in New Zealand on a positive note. However, this social issue is still seen across many other countries and although I believe that it will always be that way. At least I have become more aware of such discriminations and especially the rights that most are denied thus moulding me to be a better person in society.

In society, the marginalisation of indigenous peoples, individuals and groups is somewhat natural, the rift between many cultures, religions, groups and stereotypes that is – however all are united by pop culture. “Popular culture consists of the aspects of attitudes, behaviours, beliefs, customs, and tastes that define the people of any society” (Browne as cited by Delaney, 2007). Therefore implying that although there is a diversity of cultures ultimately pop culture brings us all together, and in this sense we are all the same. I strongly agree as it is evident in many societies throughout the world such as fashion, media, music, sports etc. Now in this sense, relating back to indigenous peoples or groups although are marginalised and often neglected are somewhat united by pop culture. Take rugby league for example, it is a popular sport throughout the world especially New Zealand and Australia and all supporters of various groups and cultures gather to support their teams – all are united. More specifically to New Zealand I believe that rugby being a popular culture not only practises but also maintains Maori traditions such as the Haka and Korero performed before matches. This is supported by Danesi (2008) as he argued that some forms of pop culture helps maintain and strengthen indigenous people’s cultures and traditions. The same could be said for other cultures as well such as the events held annually namely Chinese lanterns, Poly fest and Pacifica etc. Through this paper I have come to have a deeper appreciation for events like so especially for my culture as I understand that it only strengthens and maintains it especially abroad.  And so, pop culture brings the people of any society together through fashion, media etc. however it also strengthens and maintains the cultures of indigenous peoples and other groups.

On the other hand I do have questions in terms of pop culture not only bringing unity but also contradiction. In terms of fashion, the elderly or adults have various views opposed to younger people particularly on what is appropriate. Given the contrast of pop culture exposure for the older and younger this is understandable. A classic example of this would be the complaints of the elderly to teenage girls and their dress wear. What I see here is a contradiction of ideologies as the pop culture of fashion years ago is not the same as today. Thus, the negative effects of pop culture should be explored more.

In conclusion, the rights of Indigenous peoples worldwide being denied could be resolved by incorporating a similar approach as New Zealand. That is The Treaty of Waitangi, as having an agreement between crown and Indigenous people would provide a basis for collaboration. Therefore success as seen in New Zealand could be possible throughout other countries. In regards to pop culture although it brings people together the negative side of it should be further investigated. Overall, I have enjoyed taking this class and the highlight for me is taking all that I’ve learnt and applying it in everyday life. That is being able to tackle various social situations as well as understanding different cultures, similarity as well as the born rights we all share.


References


United Nations. (n.d.). United Nations indigenous people’s partnership. Retrieved June 10, 2015, from http://mptf.undp.org/factsheet/fund/IPP00

United Nations. (n.d.). United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Retrieved June 10, 2015, from http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/documents/DRIPS_en.pdf

Danesi, M. (2008). Popular Culture: Introductory Perspectives. New York, NY: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.

Joseph, R. (2014). December 2014 Maori law review. Retrieved June 10, 2015, from http://maorilawreview.co.nz/2014/12/indigenous-peoples-good-governance-human-rights-and-self-determination-in-the-second-decade-of-the-new-millennium-a-maori-perspective/

Culture and Society tutorial slides.  Retrieved June 8, 2015 from https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3i-Fl6vnPEQflpmMDJnUWIyb0hfSzBKcDBrRjV6WTZRYVFCang1MktOdUtlRzQzRi1QZjQ&usp=sharing&tid=0B3i-Fl6vnPEQfkJ3azRKZS1EaXpJMTVXY2dtMFBZU0RzSUoyNTlXU2VkNnNCN0J3WDFBNDg 

No comments:

Post a Comment